I am not a new mum, why am I struggling?
I hear this a lot. There are lots of variables that come to play.
You may be just busier with an additional child. It will take time and some adjustments to get into your groove again. Coming home with a new baby and managing the other kids is busy, everybody is out of their norm.
As you are recovering from having your baby, you are also expected to continue to manage the other kids and home. Even though you are tired or exhausted, you are still having to function as an active mum.
You had a complicated delivery, and you are exhausted, stressed and trying to recover.
Your baby was in the NICU. The stress of functioning as a NICU mum and managing the other kids and pumping is overwhelming and exhausting.
This baby is different, harder to feed, not sleeping, tummy issues, refluxing and irritable.
These are just a few that come to mind. It's all amplified with sleep deprivation, poor nutrition, not enough fluids and not enough rest.
What can you do?
1. Accept help when it's offered, you can't do it all, all of the time.
2. Be patient, your family will settle back into its norm, it just takes time.
3. Take your prenatals , drink plenty of fluids, eat and snack during the day and rest when you can.
4. If your baby is in the NICU, do not stay all day. It will catch up with you. Take breaks, go and eat and take naps.
5. Go to your pedi if your baby is having a hard time, don't wait it out. Also, call me, I can go over NICU tips that we use all the time to help your infant.
6. Power naps are perfect to help you with rest. Snacking during the day will help with your nutrition, healthy and high proteins snacks. Keep your water near you so can easily have a few sips at any time.